This is “one of the strangest Oscar races I can ever remember,” gasps Sasha Stone at AwardsDaily.
Amen, comrade! Take the confounding, mysterious, WTF Oscar Best Picture contest, for example. Out of the top 7 flicks in Gold Derby’s list of our Oscar Experts’ racetrack odds, I can see a path for 6 of them, really, to win: “A Star Is Born,” “Black Panther,” “BlacKkKlansman,” “The Favourite,” “Green Book” or “Roma.”
The excellent “If Beale Street Could Talk” is ranked number 6, but it was totally snubbed at the SAG Awards. Not even Regina King got in! (Oh, come on! But don’t give up on her — she can still win the Oscar. More on that in a separate article.) “Roma” got snubbed at SAG, too, that’s true, but it was voted Best Picture by the L.A. and N.Y. film critics’ groups and its helmer Alfonso Cauron is out front to win Best Director, although he should be very, very worried by Spike Lee (“BlacKkKlansman”) and Bradley Cooper (“A Star Is Born”). None of Gold Derby’s 32 Experts pick “Beale” to win Best Picture. See how all of them rank their predicted nominees according to likelihood of winning.
- Watch 3 Gold Derby pundits battle over Oscar predictions: Thelma Adams, Paul Sheehan and Tom O’Neil [Video & audio podcast]
- Oscar predictions: Tom O’Neil explains why he’s picking ‘Roma’ to win Best Picture
- 2 Oscar Experts’ predictions PANIC: Pete vs. Tom on Best Picture race – HELP! [Video & audio podcast]
- Advanced Imaging Society: Those gutsy, golden Lumiere Awards advance to the big league
- Oscar predictions mystery: What’s REALLY ahead to win Best Picture? Tom O’Neil tracks the derby
- Cast your vote for the Razzie Redeemer Award right here at Gold Derby!
- Squish! Donald and Melania Trump get pelted with Razzie Award nominations!
- Gold Derby offers the inside track to Hollywood leaders at Awards Upfront
- Oscars cliffhanger = Best Picture race: Tom O’Neil tracks the 5 frontrunners
- Tom O’Neil’s 100% accurate Golden Globe predictions: Don’t argue with me!
5A Star Is Born12/1
- Updated on: 10 Feb 19, 05:37 am PT