“I have ‘Roma’ at number one now” to win the Oscar for Best Picture, confesses Joyce Eng in our video chat with our Gold Derby colleague Susan Wloszczyna. Watch above or listen to the audio podcast below. “Poor ‘Star Is Born’! No Bradley Cooper (shut out of Best Director) and ‘Roma’ got those two acting nominations. I predicted Yalitza Aparicio, but Marina de Tavira really came out of nowhere. The actors’ branch is the biggest one in the academy.”
Susan agrees that “Roma” is ahead, but she wavers over which movie is its primary rival: “Green Book” or “The Favourite.”
“Green Book” is very “pleasing” to people, she says, but its Oscar hopes could be dinged by controversy. Also, its failure to break into the directors’ race may be ominous. Meantime, “The Favourite” helmer “Yorgos Lanthimos at least got in for Best Director, that’s something,” Susan adds, but she notes that the film is “a little less relatable, let’s say” to mainstream moviegoers.
- Watch 3 Gold Derby pundits battle over Oscar predictions: Thelma Adams, Paul Sheehan and Tom O’Neil [Video & audio podcast]
- Oscar predictions: Tom O’Neil explains why he’s picking ‘Roma’ to win Best Picture
- 2 Oscar Experts’ predictions PANIC: Pete vs. Tom on Best Picture race – HELP! [Video & audio podcast]
- Advanced Imaging Society: Those gutsy, golden Lumiere Awards advance to the big league
- Oscar predictions mystery: What’s REALLY ahead to win Best Picture? Tom O’Neil tracks the derby
- Cast your vote for the Razzie Redeemer Award right here at Gold Derby!
- Squish! Donald and Melania Trump get pelted with Razzie Award nominations!
- Gold Derby offers the inside track to Hollywood leaders at Awards Upfront
- Oscars cliffhanger = Best Picture race: Tom O’Neil tracks the 5 frontrunners
- Tom O’Neil’s 100% accurate Golden Globe predictions: Don’t argue with me!
5A Star Is Born12/1
- Updated on: 10 Feb 19, 05:37 am PT